Eligibility for Admissions to Undergraduate Programmes
Candidates must make sure that they satisfy the criteria given below for applying for admission to Undergraduate Programmes in IIST.
Only Indian citizens are eligible to apply for admission in IIST.
Date of Birth
Candidates belonging to General category (GEN) and Other Backward Classes (OBC) categories must have been born on or after October 1, 1993. Candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST) and Persons with Disabilities (PD) categories must have born on or after October 1, 1988.
The date of birth as recorded in the high school/first Board /or its equivalent will be accepted. If the certificate does not mention the date of birth, candidate must submit an authenticated document from competent authority indicating the date of birth at the time of Counselling.
Qualifying Examination (10+2 or Equivalent)
Must have secured at least 75% aggregate marks in the Class XII (or equivalent) Board examination. The aggregate marks for SC, ST and PD candidates should be at least 65%. The marks scored in the following five subjects will be considered for calculating the aggregate marks criterion.
- A language (if the candidate has taken more than one language, then the language with the higher marks will be considered)
- Any subject other than the above four (the subject with the highest marks will be considered)
The qualifying examination should be any of the following:
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by any recognized Central/State Board, such as Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), New Delhi; Council for Indian School Certificate Examination (ISCE), New Delhi, etc., recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a recognized Board/University.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy.
- Vocational Higher Secondary Examination.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/Board/University examination in India or in any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London / Cambridge /Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- In case the relevant qualifying examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination at an earlier level.
Marks scored in JEE(Advanced)-2018 Examination
Candidates who are desirous to join B.Tech. Programmes in IIST must appear for the Joint Entrance Examination (Main)-2018 conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), New Delhi to qualify themselves to appear for Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced)-2018 conducted by IITs and secure the minimum prescribed category-wise marks in JEE (Advanced)-2018 as given below
- General Candidates (GEN): At least 20% marks in aggregate and at least 5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics).
- Other Backward Community – Non Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL) Candidates: At least 18% marks in aggregate and at least 4.5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics)
- Scheduled Caste(SC), Scheduled Tribe(ST) & Persons with Disabilities(PD) Candidates: At least 10%marks in aggregate and at least 2.5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics).
IMPORTANT: The candidates applying for IIST admission are advised to make sure that they have secured the above minimum prescribed subject-wise marks and aggregate marks, when the JEE (Advanced) website displays his/her answer sheets (ORS) and answer keys.
IIST provides financial assistance funded by the Department of Space (DoS, Government of India) for students admitted to UG (B.Tech and dual degree) programmes. The assistanceship (per semester basis) covers the expenses viz. Tuition fee, Students Amenity fee, hostel and dining charges, Establishment charges and medical expenses as given below:
Student Semester Fee/Assistanceship for UG students
Sl. No. Item Amount (Rs.) 1 Tuition Fee 20000/- 2 Hostel and dining charges 14400/- 3 Establishment Charges 8000/- 4 Student Amenity Fee 4000/- 5 Medical Fee 2000/- Total Rs.48400/-
An Book allowance of Rs. 3000 per semester is also provided, which is reimbursed on purchase of text books.
In effect, when the candidate joins IIST for any undergraduate programme, all the above fees/expenses are borne by the Institute, for the first semester. Hence the candidate does not have to pay any fee to the institute at the time of admission to IIST. From the second semester onwards, the above full assistanceship will be continued only if the student secures the following category-wise minimum prescribed Grade Point Average (GPA) in the previous semester, as described below:
For GENERAL and OBC category: From the second semester onwards, the full assistantship will be continued for the current semester only for those who secure a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 7.5 (on a scale of 10) in the previous semester. The GENERAL and OBC category students who score less than 7.5 GPA in the previous semester has to remit to the Institute, all the above pre-notified fees (Rs. 48400/-) for the current semester.
For SC/ST and PD category: From the second semester onwards, the full assistantship will be continued for the current semester only if they secure a minimum GPA of 6.5 (in a scale of 10) in the previous semester. The SC/ST and PD category students who secure a GPA of 5.5 and above, but less than 6.5 (in a scale of 10) in the previous semester have to remit Rs. 28400/- (ie. all the above pre-notified fees except the Tuition fee) for the current semester. The SC/ST and PD category students who secure a GPA of less than 5.5 (in a scale of 10) in the previous semester have to remit the entire pre-notified fees(Rs.48400/-) for the current semester.
Absorption in ISRO/DoS
- As performance based financial assistance is provided by DOS to the B.Tech. and Dual degree program students of IIST, ISRO/DOS will have the first right to absorb them, subject to the human resource requirements of ISRO/DOS
- The job absorption will be as per the recruitment norms of ISRO/DOS Centres for IIST graduates. To be eligible for absorption in ISRO/DOS, the student should have completed the B.Tech. Programme in four years or the Dual degree programme in five years with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 7.5 out of 10. However, the eligible student(s) will be offered absorption in the order of Merit, only to the extent of vacancies notified by ISRO Headquarters for the purpose of absorption in the year of completion of the course. Students will not have any claim for absorption in ISRO/DOS against the other vacancies or the vacancies notified for absorption occurring thereafter in ISRO/DOS Establishments during subsequent years
- Students who are offered a job in ISRO/DOS are mandated to serve as Scientist/Engineer-‘SC’ in any ISRO/DOS centres for a minimum period of 3 years. On failing to accept the job offer, a student is liable to pay Rs.10 lakhs to IIST/DOS as per the Surety Bond (on a Rs.100/- Non-Judicial paper duly signed by the student, parent and surety) executed at the time of admission to B.Tech. and Dual degree Programmes in IIST. If absorbed, they will be posted as Scientist/Engineer-‘SC’ in any ISRO/DOS Centre. Currently, Scientist/Engineer- ‘SC’ is placed in Level 10 of the Central Government 7th pay commission Pay Matrix Table. The basic emoluments at present will be approximately Rs. 56,100/- p.m. In addition, House Rent Allowance [HRA] and Transport Allowance at the prescribed rates in force at the place of posting are applicable. The employees will be governed by the National Pension System. Other facilities are available such as medical facilities for self and dependants, Leave Travel Concession Group Insurance, etc.
Undergraduate Admission 2018 Information Brochure will be released online on 02 May, 2018
andidates who are desirous to join the undergraduate programmes in IIST must apply separately for admission to IIST by registering at the online application portal admission.iist.ac.in.
Candidates who are desirous to join the undergraduate programmes in IIST must apply separately for admission to IIST by registering at the online application portal admission.iist.ac.in.
This portal for registration will be open from 22 May 2018 to 5 June 2018 (up to 11 PM).
IIST Admission Rank list will be generated only for those candidates who register online for admission to IIST and satisfy all the eligibility criteria. Please note that IIST Admission Rank list will be prepared based on their aggregate marks scored in JEE (Advanced) -2018.