FOR BACHELOR’S PROGRAMMES (B.Des, B.FTech)
Who can apply?
Any candidate who fulfils the prescribed age and educational qualification criteria for the concerned programme can apply.
Maximum age should be 23 years as on 1st October, 2018. The upper age limit may be relaxed by a period of 5 (five) years for candidates of Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe/ Person with Disability (PWD) categories
Educational qualification for Bachelor of Design (B.Des) Programmes
(Fashion Design / Leather Design / Accessory Design / Textile Design / Knitwear Design / Fashion Communication)
The +2 level examination in the 10+2 pattern of examination of any recognized Central/State Board of Secondary Examination, such as Central Board of Secondary Education / State Board New Delhi, and Council for Indian School of Certificate Examination, New Delhi.
SEATS FOR FOREIGN NATIONAL/SAARC/NRI AND DOMICILE CATEGORIES
- Foreign Nationals/ SAARC/NRIs
Foreign Nationals (whether residing in India or abroad) and Non Resident Indians, who are citizens of India holding an Indian passport and have temporarily immigrated to another country for six months or more for work, residence or any other purpose and who meet eligibility and admission requirements of NIFT can also apply for admission. The selection of eligible candidates of this category for admission in NIFT will be based on their SAT/GMAT/GRE scores, and not on the basis of the Entrance examination. The availability of seats for this category is as follows:
- 5 (supernumerary) seats each at NIFT Campuses Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Gandhinagar, Raebareli & Srinagar (J&K).
- 3 (supernumerary) seats eachat Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Jodhpur, Kangra, Kannur, Patna and Shillong.
THE EXAMINATION PROCESS (for all programmes)
All eligible candidates would have to go through an examination process. The process for each programme is separately listed below:
For candidates to the UG Design programmes, the selection process comprises a written examination comprising of a Creative Ability Test (CAT) and General Ability Test (GAT), followed by a situation test to be undertaken by shortlisted candidates of the written examination.
For candidates to the UG Fashion Technology programme, the selection process comprises a written examination comprising of a General Ability Test (GAT).
THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION (for all programmes)
Based on their choice of city, all eligible candidates will have to appear for the written entrance examination at the Examination Centres opted by them. The written entrance examination is designed to test the knowledge, skill and aptitude of the candidates for the programme opted.
SCHEDULE OF EXAMINATION
Date of Written Examination for all UG and PG Programmes: 20 st January, 2019
Test Weightages The weightage assigned to each test in the final merit list of the entrance examination will be as follows:
In case of equal scores of two candidates, the older candidate (as per date of birth)will be given preference.
COMPONENTS OFTHE WRITTEN EXAMINATION WRITTEN EXAMINATION STRUCTURE (FOR ALL UG AND PG DESIGN PROGRAMMES)
General Ability Test (GAT)
2. CREATIVE ABILITY TEST (CAT):
This test is administered for both UG and PG Design Programmes to judge the intuitive ability, power of observation in concept development and design ability of the candidate. An important aspect of the testis the creative and innovative use of colour and illustration skills.
WRITTEN EXAMINATION STRUCTURE (FOR UG AND PG PROGRAMMES OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY AND FOR MASTER OF FASHION MANAGEMENT)
GENERAL ABILITY TEST (GAT)
Components of the General Ability Test (for all programmes)
1) Quantitative Ability: This sub-test is designed to test the quantitative ability of the candidates. The sub test consists of questions on Addition, Multiplication, Division, Fractions, Percentage, Rate of Interest, Work and Task, Ratio and Proportion, and Distance.
2) Communication Ability and English Comprehension: This sub-test is aimed at testing the language ability of the candidates in day to day communication in English. It includes questions on synonyms, antonyms, words with corresponding meanings, singular, plural, one word substitutes, idioms and phrases, correct spellings, comprehend a situation from a given passage etc.
3) Analytical Ability and Logical Ability: This sub-test is designed to test the candidate’s capacity for inference and logic from the given information and to evaluate the candidate’s ability to identify the given problem and apply reasoning in solving the core issues of the problem. Concepts and practice of creative and lateral thinking are likely to be useful.
4) General Knowledge and Current Affairs: This sub-test is designed to test the candidate’s general knowledge and current affairs.
5) Case Study: This sub-test is based on a situation of an industry environment. It helps to evaluate the candidate’s managerial ability
SITUATION TEST – FOR UG DESIGN PROGRAMMES
Shortlisted candidates for B.Des from the written entrance examination are required to take a Situation Test which is a hands-on test to evaluate the candidate’s skills for material handling and innovative ability on a given situation.
GROUP DISCUSSIONS AND PERSONAL INTERVIEWS (GD/PI) – FOR ALL PG PROGRAMMES
Shortlisted candidates for Masters Programmes from the written entrance examination are required to undergo Case Study based Group Discussions (GD)and Personal Interview (PI). GD would comprise approximately 15 to 20 minutes of discussion on a case study assigned, on which a panel of experts will assess the candidates on various parameters including:
1) Conceptual clarity
2) Knowledge of the topic assigned
3) Contribution made to the topic
4) Interpersonal skills
5) Ability to generate new ideas
6) Problem solving approach
7) Leadership qualities 8) Effective communication
Candidates shall be evaluated on the various parameters as listed below by a panel, in the Personal Interview:
1) Career orientation
2) Aptness for the course
3) Overall personal achievements in academics and co-curricular activities
Admission Calendar- 2019
5) General awareness and aptitude, creative and lateral thinking