National Entrance Screening Test (NEST) is a compulsory test for students seeking admission to National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) Bhubaneswar and University of Mumbai – Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CEBS), Mumbai. Both NISER and UM-DAE CEBS were set up by Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India in 2007. Their mandate is to train scientific manpower for carrying out cutting edge scientific research and for providing input to scientific programmes of Department of Atomic Energy and other applied science institutions in the country. NEST 2018 will be conducted in around 106 cities across India.
NISER established by the Department of Atomic Energy, strives to become a citadel for basic sciences and allied subjects in terms of teaching and research. Its vision includes imparting high-quality science education in a vibrant academic ambiance to the bright, motivated students, by a faculty of distinguished scientists and teachers.
NISER offers a 5 year integrated M.Sc. programme in Biological, Chemical, Mathematical and Physical sciences. NISER functions from its own campus at Jatni. Degrees at NISER will be awarded by the Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), a deemed-to-be University within the Department of Atomic Energy.
There are 200+2 seats for 2018 batch, including reserved seats for SC/ST/OBC/PD candidates and two seats for candidates from the state of J&K as per Government norms. To avail reserved seats under OBC category the OBC (NCL) certificate must have been issued on or after June 01, 2017.
About UM-DAE CEBS
The Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India, has an autonomous Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences in Mumbai. CEBS offers high quality teaching embedded in a vibrant post-graduate and research environment with some of the best teachers and scientists from major institutions in the city (TIFR, BARC, IIT) and the University of Mumbai and its colleges, on its faculty. CEBS offers a 5 year integrated M.Sc. programme in Biological, Chemical, Mathematical and Physical sciences. The degrees at CEBS are awarded by the 150-year old University of Mumbai.
Tentatively, there are 45+2 seats this year with reservations as per government norms, including two seats for candidates from the state of J&K and reservation for persons with disability (PD).
Eligibility criteria for admission
Candidates must qualify all four eligibility criteria listed below:
- Candidates in General and OBC category should be born on or after August 01, 1998. The age limit is relaxed by 5 years for SC/ ST/ Physically Disabled (PD) candidates.
- Class XII qualifying examination should be passed in either 2016or 2017. Candidates appearing in 2018are also eligible. (Where only Letter Grade is given by the Board, a certificate from the Board specifying equivalent percentage marks will be required. In the absence of such a certificate the decision of the respective Admission Committees will be final.)
- At least 60%marks in aggregate (or equivalent grade) in Class XII (or equivalent) examination from any recognized Board in India. For Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST) candidates and for Persons with Disability (PD), the minimum requirement is 55%.
- Candidate should secure a position in the NEST merit list.
- Registration / Online application opens : January 01, 2018 (6:00 pm)
- Online application closes : March 05, 2018 (midnight)
- Download of admit card starts : April 25, 2018, 10:00 am
- Date of examination : June 02, 2018 (Saturday), 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Announcement of results on NEST website : June 18, 2018